Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Back Home

Let's not talk too much about the last few days, okay? Cirencester was great, but the trip did not present a great opportunity to be as mindful about food as I might otherwise have been. I know, excuses, excuses... I should be able to practice the same mindfulness no matter where and what the circumstances. The airline (business class--I was fortunate enough to be able to upgrade) offered rich food and an endless supply of booze. I was quite noble in my circumspection in this regard, but I did enjoy a couple of glasses of wine each way and, on the return flight, a pre-flight glass of champagne AND a post-dinner liqueur--of which I left, by my own estimate, about a third in the glass... And drank large quantities of water, to compensate. In Cirencester, evenings, we ate Indian and Chinese, with a good deal more than my intended single glass of wine per day.

All in all, I gave myself permission to stray fairly far from my intentions, and need to reflect on the ease with which I succumbed. Traveling and eating out both offer wonderful excuses to descend into mindlessness, as do--for me at least--any and all social events where people gather to make merry. My common sense tells me that excesses of food and drink are not the only or the necessary ingredients of making merry, but old habits run deep. There's some inner part of me that wants to hide itself in such circumstances, and these are convenient things behind which to hide. They compensate for the silly insecurities.

Now, back in Los Angeles, I am committed to returning to my good intentions. Stick with me...

No comments: