Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Intentions

Just a reminder, so that anyone who stumbles on this very personal site can make a little sense of it. I posted this list of my intentions for “A Diet of Choice” back at the start:

• To eat a maximum of one slice of bread, or the equivalent, per day
• To drink a maximum of one glass of wine
• To avoid sweets
• To avoid pre-dinner and between-meals snacks
• To eat early in the evening
• To minimize my use of milk, butter and cheese
• To take small portions
• To leave food on my plate when I’m no longer hungry
• To maintain my regular exercise program
• To avoid reading while eating
• To eat slowly, chew thoroughly
• To put down knife and fork between mouthfuls

I'm in good health, and not seriously overweight, but I have been putting on a couple pounds a year since my early fifties, and am now carrying around some twenty extra pounds, in my own judgment. I am encumbered by what feels to me like an extra layer of flesh, and am simply uncomfortable with it. I am impatient with diets. They irk me. And yet I want to do something to feel better in my skin.

So the above sound like good preliminary steps. They are intentions, not compulsions. I may ignore them on any occasion I so choose. I may add to them, or eliminate them at any time. They are a guide to consciousness. Before I put anything in my mouth, I will mentally consult this list and make my choice accordingly. And I intend to report on daily progress and results.

1 comment:

abbyben said...

I recently began eating this way myself. Giving oneself permission to eat what you desire takes the taboo out of it, alleviating the guilt that frequently drives the viscous cycle of overeating. I found that maintaining a consistent exercise regime brought a new focus to the value, or the potential damage, of the food I put in my mouth. Nowadays we are surround with good food and wine wherever we go, it would seem wrong to not be able to enjoy it.