Sunday, August 27, 2017

RETREAT

Saturday, a day of learning and retreat. Spent the day with Thanissaro Bhikkhu, teaching about the Eightfold Path. Appropriately, almost the entire day was spent on "Right Resolve"--the way to deal with sensual pleasures (like eating and drinking!) It was a good opportunity to reflect on what I'm doing with my "Diet of Choice"--that is, trying to be conscious both of what I eat (and drink) and how I eat it. Than Geoff's personal word of advice: "chew slowly"!

7:00 morning tea with milk, no sugar. I really like having sugar in my tea!

8:00 breakfast. One slice of bread with butter, one fried egg (I normally eat two)

12:00 lunch break at the retreat. Small serving of salmon, rice, green salad with almonds, and fruit salad for dessert. Water.

4:00 snack. 1/2 apple.

6:30 Out for dinner at the new Creole restaurant down the hill. Shared one glass (1/2 for me) of cabernet sauvignon with Ellie. Had a few bites of her rice salad. Ate 2/3 of my hanger steak with small portion of ratatouille and larger portion of mashed sweet potato.

In other circumstances I'd have enjoyed two glasses of wine for myself, and would surely have polished off the entire entree plate with hanger steak. Not the best diet day, but not a bad one, either.

No comments: