Monday, August 14, 2017

MISSED A DAY...

I missed a day yesterday, Sunday. It happened to be the day after my blowout, Saturday night. We went out to eat at a restaurant, Sapphire, and I indulged in not one, but two glasses of wine. My resolve faltered in the face of habit: don't I always drink a glass of wine when eating out? What harm could a single glass do? And then, after waiting a good long while for our appetizer to arrive, half the glass was gone--even with just tiny little sips. And it wasn't a very big glass, after all. I our bigger glasses at home. So pretty soon the glass was empty and much of the meal was still to come... I ordered the second glass because, well, a good dish deserves to be accompanied, no?

So go the rationalizations. Anyway, I woke Sunday morning with the realization that the regular morning sit at sangha was postponed until 5 PM because Than Geoff would be visiting, so I took the advantage to enjoy a leisurely morning in bed with the newspaper.

Intake for the day:

7:30 AM, a cup of tea with milk and sugar (2 spoons)

9 AM, early breakfast: small bowl of fruit with muesli and granola, walnuts and dried blueberries

A long morning with no snack. Better to have had a small something in the interim

1 PM, brunch: shared a 3-egg scramble with Ellie (gave her the smaller half!), started out with 2/3 of an everything bagel, butter and kumquat marmalade, then decided on the last 1/3, why not? It was a very thin slice, from the top. Coffee with milk, no sugar, no sweetener. Oh, and a few pieces of chopped melon.

Did I forget a 4PM snack? If I had one, I don't remember. I'm sure, though, that it wasn't my usual apple yesterday.

7:30 PM, dinner: salmon, roasted in the over with lemon and onion, greens, a rice salad. The corn that Ellie had planned on including proved to be no longer fresh enough to eat. No wine! (Before dinner, I suggested sharing a bottle of beer but Ellie, in her wisdom, reminded me to get back on the wagon).

A good meditation session with Than Geoff. I'll talk about it over on The Buddha Diaries...


No comments: