Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Tuesday

At 9AM I had breakfast with Ellie. I chose to eat a bowl of porridge, made with 1/8 milk and 7/8 water, a handful of raisins and dried cranberries; and served with a sprinkling of brown sugar and a few chopped walnuts. I chose to add a little milk and a very small splash of half-and-half (it’s in the fridge… I have this horror of waste; more about this in a later entry.) Plus a cup of coffee with milk and sweetener. I chose NOT to have my usual round of toast with butter and marmalade.

Lunch at 1:30 PM with Ellie and a very old friend of ours. I chose to split a BLAT (bacon, lettuce, avocado and tomato) sandwich with Ellie. Tasty! And chose NOT to have one of the delicious-looking cookies at the counter with my black coffee afterwards.

Early evening, our daughter Sarah came around to leave her dog, Nico, to spend the week with us. Sarah is off on a trip so it seemed appropriate to celebrate her departure with the offer of a glass of sherry. She accepted. I joined her with a half-glass of my own--and had another half--well, three-quarters--of a glass of white wine with dinner: a repeat of last night, Ellie's home-made squash soup and a green salad. I thought long and hard about that bowl of soy ice cream after dinner, as I watched the Democratic debate, but I chose not to act upon the thought.

No comments: